This is what we are worried about:
The Big Sprawl. (courtesy of Environmental Defence and Yours To Protect)
The Province of Ontario has ordered municipalities to plan for growth to 2051 that will result in huge population increases in the Lake Simcoe area and related environmental impacts, most notably loss of farmland and increased salt, stormwater runoff, and potentially sewage from new development.
There are good and bad ways to plan.
Good planning should result in better health and environmental outcomes, better access to public transit and affordable housing near transit, and should result in more equitable and vibrant communities with quality greenspace for all. Ideally, we would like to hear people advocating for a future that is more sustainable and equitable, from a wide variety of perspectives.
Please click below to join the list for your region to remain engaged in opportunities to advocate with us for Official Plans that improve our quality of life and our environment.
Video: What is the Municipal Comprehensive Review?
Municipal Opportunities to Rescue Lake Simcoe: Webinar Recording (Oct 5, 2022) | Slide Deck
Webinar Recording: How to Stop the Big Sprawl: What you need to know to protect forests, farmland and wetlands in the Municipal Comprehensive Review
Fact Sheets from the Ontario Greenbelt Alliance: Sprawl, Sustainable Communities, Climate Commitments
- Letter to Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing re YR Official Plan, August 18, 2022
- Stop Sprawl YR Letter to York Region Council, June 30, 2022
- Letter to Simcoe County re Official Plan, June 27, 2022
- Stop Sprawl YR Letter to York Region Council, June 15, 2022
- Letter to Oro-Medonte Staff and Council, June 3, 2022
- Letter to Durham Regional Council, May 24, 2022
- Stop Sprawl YR Letter to York Region Council, May 18, 2022
- Submission regarding York Region draft Official Plan, March 30, 2022
- Submission to Simcoe County, Dec 2021, Natural Heritage System and Municipal Comprehensive Review
- Letter to province NHS and P reduction, Dec 2021
- Sign on submission to Oro Medonte, December 2021, Natural Heritage System and Municipal Comprehensive Review
- Simcoe County MCR Phase 1 Comments, Nov 12, 2021
- Growth East Gwillimbury whitebelt and York Region Oct 15th
- Growth Innisfil MCR recommendations Oct 15
- Letter #3 to York Region re MCR, Sept 24, 2021
- Submission to Durham regarding Housing Intensification and Growth Management, Oct 2021
- Letter #2 to York Region re MCR, Sept 14, 2021
- Letter to Simcoe County regarding the Municipal Comprehensive Review
- Letter to York Region regarding the Municipal Comprehensive Review
- Submission to Durham regarding Envision Durham
- Submission to Durham regarding framing the Municipal Comprehensive Review
With funding support from Small Change Fund, Freshwater Future, and Echo Foundation.
Please donate to support this important grassroots work.