The Government of Ontario has launched their 10-year review of the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan. The health of Lake Simcoe depends on the plan being better-implemented, not weakened.
That’s why we are working to protect Lake Simcoe and keep it healthy and beautiful. Will you join us?
What does the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan do?
- The Lake Simcoe Protection Plan (LSPP) is a comprehensive plan to protect and restore the ecological health of Lake Simcoe and its watershed, comprised of all the land that drains into Lake Simcoe directly or via rivers and streams, by addressing long-term environmental issues;
- Prohibits development and site alteration within a key natural heritage feature (wetlands, significant woodlands, significant valleylands, and natural areas abutting Lake Simcoe), a key hydrologic feature (wetlands, permanent and intermittent streams, and lakes other than Lake Simcoe) and within a related vegetation protection zone;
- Establishes tough phosphorus pollution caps on sewage treatment plants’ effluent;
- Prohibits new sewage treatment plants to be built unless they are replacing an old one;
- Requires new development applications to use an enhanced stormwater management plan;
- Requires development decisions to conform to the designated (having legal effect) policies of the LSPP;
- Makes clear that Official Plans and zoning bylaws must conform to the designated policies of the LSPP;
- Where a conflict between policies occurs, such as between the Growth Plan and the LSPP, the provision that provides the greatest protection to the ecological health of the Lake Simcoe watershed prevails.
There are 118 policies in the LSPP; this is a short list.
Our top priorities for the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan review:
- Improve water quality by reducing phosphorus loads to the lake from urban and agricultural areas, and from aggregate and construction sites.
- Support a healthy environment around the lake and reduce flooding impacts by protecting 40% of the watershed area’s forests and wetlands.
Read our priorities for the review of the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan here
Contact us to get involved!
Factsheet: What is the Lake Simcoe Protection Plan?
Factsheet: What you can do to keep Lake Simcoe clean
Interested in learning more about environmental policy in the Lake Simcoe Watershed?
Download our report by clicking on it, above.